~ This is so fun and perfect for quick meals or snacks! If your kids love Lunchables but you’d like something a little healthier, then this super-flexible idea is for you! Fast, easy and so yummy! ~
When the kids head back to school, packing lunches often becomes the most dreaded part of the day (even worse than that early alarm!). You can no longer fly by the seat of your pants. This, my friends, requires planning.
The kids quickly tire of the same old things, and before too long, you may be out of creative ideas. Plus, it often results in a battle. The kids want “fun” stuff. You want to provide healthy food that will fuel them through the day. They … want fun stuff.
How about a healthy lunch that is also fun? A lunch that’ll have the other kids at the lunch table begging their moms for the same thing. Oh, yeah! You’re about to be that mom! The one that gives her kid the awesome lunch that makes the other kids envious!
Best part? It’ll take you no time at all to pack – even though it’s totally customizable to your kiddos’ tastebuds! Your kids actually do all the work of assembling it! (They’ll think that’s the coolest part!)
It kinda resembles those pre-packaged lunches you’ve seen at the grocery store where the kids get to put everything together. (We don’t need to name names – you know what we mean!) But when you make it yourself with wholesome ingredients you can actually pronounce, then you know there’s nothing … shall we say … questionable … in it.
Just start with a whole-grain base (the “pizza crust”). How about a whole-wheat tortilla, pita or flatbread?
Next, give them a serving of healthy protein to spread on top (the “pizza sauce”). Our kids love natural nut butters or Greek yogurt. Another favorite is our very own Healthy Sugared-Vanilla Yogurt Fruit Dip!
Then, the toppings! Fresh fruit, dried fruit, nuts, coconut, granola … need we go on? Oh, and on really special occasions … maybe even a few mini chocolate chips!
If your kids are too young to cut their pizza into wedges after they’ve topped it in the lunchroom, just send pre-cut “crust” wedges for them so they can artfully top each wedge! Or, suggest that your little ones fold their pizzas over like quesadillas, or roll up their creations for munching burrito-style!
This is one of our very most adaptable recipe ideas yet – there are just so many options! Besides packing it for the kids to assemble at lunchtime:
- This makes a great breakfast, full of whole grains, protein and fruit.
- It’s also easy to turn this into a grab-and-go meal. Simply pre-assemble your creation at home and roll it up like a burrito! And if you’re thinking this idea is just for kids, think again! Make this up ahead of time for your own lunchbox or a busy day on the go. We can personally vouch for the fact that adults loooooove this, too!
- Snack time? Yep, this is great as an after-school snack that’ll give kids solid energy to power through homework and after-school activities!
- Ooooh … and for a little extra fun? A fruit pizza topping bar for your kids! (And for their friends – this is a big hit for “play date” snack time!) Let everyone pick and choose from the “topping bar” to customize their own. That’s exactly what we did for our own kiddos the day we shot the photos for this post, and they had an absolute blast creating edible masterpieces! Plus, we just love all the pics of tiny fingers spreading and sprinkling!
With so many different “crusts” and “sauces” and “topping” ideas, plus so many ways to fold (quesadillas!) or wrap (burritos!) … this little gem will keep your kids happy through many school lunches. And, you’ll be happy knowing that they’ll leave the lunchroom full of protein, whole grains and fruit!
Healthy and fun! Yay – everyone wins! One less headache for the new school year!
We’d Love to Hear From You!
As sad as we are to see our kids get on that bus, we know it’s a part of growing up! Back to school always feels like a new beginning! Even if your little ones are all grown up, what’s your favorite part of this exciting time of year? Weird as it is, Gretchen loves school supply shopping! Shelley loves the smell of new crayons! Ahhh … back to school!!
Oh, and don’t forget … if you loved reading this, be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter and Pinterest. And, be the first to know about our latest posts by simply entering your e-mail in the box at the top right corner of our page! Pssssssst … pass it on!
Looking for More Quick Snack Ideas? Check Out Our:
- Peanut Butter Cup No-Bake Snack Bites
- Rainbow Pepper Salsa
- Ants on a Log 2.0 (so fun for kids!)
- Healthy Sugared-Vanilla Yogurt Fruit Dip
- Mexican Fiesta Black Bean Hummus
- Whole-grain tortilla
- Whole-wheat pita
- Whole-wheat flat bread
- Natural peanut butter or other nut butter
- 100% fruit jelly or jam
- Reduced-fat cream cheese
- Non-fat Greek yogurt
- Healthy Sugared-Vanilla Yogurt Fruit Dip
- Fresh fruit such as: apples, bananas, kiwi, berries
- Dried fruit such as: raisins, chopped dates, pineapple, cranberries, cherries
- Sliced or slivered almonds
- Mini chocolate chips
- To assemble a pizza, start by spreading the “crust” with one or more types of “sauce.”
- Add desired toppings and cut into wedges.